Sunday, January 17, 2016

Military Kids

I wrote this as a possible letter to the editor...please let me know what you think.


 I was recently at a potluck that had guest speakers. One of them asked for anyone who was in or is still in the military, and their wives or husbands, to raise their hands. I sat there and looked around. There were a few. But as I sat there, I thought about something. What about the kids who have suffered by having a military parent? The wives and husbands are thanked. For what? Dealing with the crap they come home with from war? Last I checked, kids have feelings too and they have to deal with the same thing. Often times, the kids are forgotten and life goes on without them being included. I grew up feeling this way on many levels. My dad worked hard to provide for his family; I don’t take that away from him. My dad was in the Marines for a total of six years, but he brought it home and lived it for many years and still does.


My reason for writing this letter is to hopefully open the eyes of those who need to realize their kids are suffering right along with them. Talk with your kids. If you were raised to not talk to your parent for whatever reason, throw that out the window. Kids are getting lost in the shuffle and in the end, you will lose them. And getting them back can be a very tough and long journey. Is it as important as your job? More so. I’m not saying you have to go to every single game or every single recital. I’m just urging you to talk with them, about anything.Spend time with them.Your kids should be a top priority to you. The choice is yours. But, it’s also your choice to throw your kids out of the way and live as if they don’t exist. 

Jennifer Gasper

2 comments:

  1. My Dad was in the Army WWII,(Battle of The Bulge)..Seen some very bad stuff! Brought it home with him,drank a lot,abused his family physically and mentally!
    Never once,helped us boys do much of anything!!!
    As I raised my family,I would go to their school functions and whatever other things they had going.
    My oldest boy,he played football,I went to most all his games,rain or shine,snowing out,etc..
    I supported him,he knew it..(I hated football),but was there for him..
    Now as a grandparent,I spoil our grandkids as much as I can (without getting him (or) her and grandpa in trouble)...
    As my Dad I had some rough times in the Army,still carry some of it,but I have taught myself to just leave it at the door,because its in the past,it's done and I don't need it in my life,with my family and (or) friends..
    Could talk more about this subject,but this is your story,not mine!!
    Great read Kiddo,it struck home for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Michael. I can't so much so I don't expose anyone. But there was definite abuse in my life. And not in just one way. I've lived a very rough life and a horrible one in my heart and head.
    You are one of the few who didn't end up like their military parent. You chose to not be like him. I wish more could be like that. They have so much more for kids now then when I was little. But I wasn't even around when he was in the Marines. He went in right after he and mom were married. So he was done by the time my oldest brother was born. But he def brought it home and never let it leave. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete